Navigating the intricacies of reporting disposals of UK property is vital for non-UK residents. This overview underscores the significance of compliance with HMRC regulations. In this discussion, we’ll delve into the nuances of reporting obligations, emphasizing the streamlined approach provided by the HMRC’s Capital Gains Tax on UK property accounts system. This system facilitates accurate and timely submissions for a seamless reporting experience.

UK Property Disposal Reporting Requirements

If you are not a resident in the UK, you must report disposals of UK property or land. This includes individuals, companies, trustees of non-UK resident trusts, temporary non-residents, and personal representatives dealing with the estate of a deceased person who lived abroad.

Different scenarios when reporting is necessary:

  1. Even if no tax is due:

Reporting is required even if you have no tax to pay on the disposal. This ensures compliance with HMRC regulations, and it’s a mandatory process for non-UK residents who dispose of UK property or land.

  1. After making a loss on the disposal:

Reporting is necessary even if you incurred a loss at the disposal. The reporting requirements are not solely based on whether a profit was made, but on the fact that there was a disposal of UK property or land.

  1. If registered for Self-Assessment:

Even if you are registered for Self-Assessment, you still need to report disposals of UK property or land separately. Self-Assessment registration doesn’t replace the obligation to report specific transactions like the disposal of property.

Note: UK property and land include residential and non-residential properties, mixed-use properties, and rights to assets deriving at least 75% of their value from UK land.

If any of these scenarios apply to you, it’s essential to understand and comply with the reporting requirements outlined by HMRC.

How UK Defines Property and Land

UK property and land includes:

  • Residential UK property or land, which encompasses both the land itself and any structures erected on it.
  • Non-residential UK property or land, referring to real estate that is not primarily designated for residential purposes.
  • A ‘mixed-use’ property is one that integrates both residential and non-residential components, such as a flat linked to a shop, doctor’s surgery, or office.
  • Rights to assets that derive a minimum of 75% of their value from UK land, indicating a connection to and dependence on real estate within the United Kingdom.

Understanding these distinctions is crucial for accurately reporting disposals of UK property or land to HMRC and determining the appropriate Capital Gains Tax obligations based on the nature of the property or land involved.

Different rates of Capital Gains Tax based on the type of property:

In the UK, the rate of Capital Gains Tax (CGT) you pay on property does indeed depend on the type of property you’re selling. Here’s a breakdown:

For individuals:

1. Residential property:

  • 18% for gains up to the higher rate income tax threshold (£50,270 for 2023/24 tax year).
  • 28% for gains exceeding the higher rate income tax threshold.

2. For trustees or personal representatives of someone who’s died:

  • Residential property: 28%
  • Other chargeable assets: 20%

UK Residential Property Capital Gains Tax: Reporting Deadlines and Procedures

1. Deadlines based on the completion date of the sale:

For UK residential property, Capital Gains Tax must be reported and paid within:

  • 60 days of the completion date of the sale, if the completion date was on or after 27 October 2021.
  • 30 days of the completion date of the sale, if the completion date was between 6 April 2020 and 26 October 2021.


Should you sell a residential property in the UK on October 1, 2023, it is imperative to report and remit any Capital Gains Tax (CGT) owed within a 60-day timeframe, which means fulfilling these obligations by November 30, 2023.

2. The Process for How the gains are specifically calculated

For the first property or land you sold in the tax year (if you weren’t living in the UK during that year):

  • Figure out how much profit you made from selling the property or land.
  • If you’re an individual, subtract any tax-free allowance you might be eligible for.
  • Subtract any losses from previous years that you can use to reduce your tax.
  • Determine the rate at which you’ll be taxed for Capital Gains.
  • Find out the deadline for paying Capital Gains Tax as a non-resident selling UK property. It’s usually within 60 days of selling.

If you sold additional properties or land in the same tax year:

  • Calculate the profit for each property or land you sold.
  • Deduct any losses you haven’t used yet.
  • Subtract any remaining tax-free allowance, considering if you’ve already used some of it for a previous sale in the same tax year.
  • Figure out the Capital Gains Tax rate, considering any part of the rate band used by previous sales in the year.
  • Report and pay HMRC within 60 days of selling each property or land.

Remember, it’s important to report and pay your taxes on time to avoid any penalties.

3. Reporting Residential Property Capital Gains Tax

Online through HMRC’s property account:

  1. Use the online Capital Gains Tax on UK property account to report disposals. A Government Gateway user ID and password are required.
  2. Details such as the property address, acquisition date, disposal date, property value, and costs incurred must be provided.

Details required for reporting:

Essential information includes the property address and postcode, dates of acquisition and disposal, property values, and details of any costs associated with buying, selling, or improving the property. Additionally, information on tax reliefs, allowances, or exemptions must be included.

Using the paper form for specific tax years:

If unable to report online, a Capital Gains Tax on UK property paper form can be used for the 2022 to 2023 tax year and the 2023 to 2024 tax year. HMRC will provide a reference number starting with ‘x’ after reporting, which is necessary for payment.

3. Penalties You Might Face for Late Reporting

Failure to report and pay Capital Gains Tax on time may result in penalties and interest. It is essential to adhere to the specified deadlines to avoid these financial consequences.

Failure to report and pay Capital Gains Tax on time may result in the following penalties:

1. Late Filing Penalties:

  • An immediate penalty of £100.
  • An additional penalty of £10 per day, accruing for up to 90 days.
  • A penalty of 5% of the outstanding tax or £300, whichever is greater, if the delay extends to 6 months.
  • Further penalties of £300 or 5% of the outstanding tax, whichever is greater, if the reporting and payment are delayed by 12 months or more.

2. Late Payment Penalties:

  • Failing to remit your CGT within the stipulated time frame incurs a penalty of 5% of the outstanding tax amount, plus accruing interest.

3. Penalties for Inaccurate Reporting:

  • Erroneous disclosures on your CGT return can lead to penalties calculated based on the underpaid tax due to the inaccuracies. This can range from 0% to 100% of the underpaid tax.

The penalties that you are charged will depend on a number of factors, including the reason for your failure to report or pay on time, and whether you have a history of tax compliance issues.

If you are unable to report or pay your Capital Gains Tax on time, you should contact HMRC as soon as possible to discuss your options. HMRC may be able to offer you a Time to Pay arrangement, which will allow you to pay your tax in instalments.

Unique Reporting Situations: A Guide to Special Scenarios

1. Jointly owned properties:

If a property is jointly owned, each owner must individually report the disposal and provide details of their own gain or loss. Special rules apply when giving a UK property to a spouse, civil partner, or charity. Reporting obligations must still be fulfilled even if the disposal results in no tax liability.

2. Non-resident companies making a disposal:

Non-resident companies are subject to Corporation Tax on gains from UK land and property disposals. The reporting is done through a Corporation Tax return. Registration for Corporation Tax is necessary if the company does not already submit a Corporation Tax return.

3. Trustees of non-UK resident trusts and their reporting obligations:

Trustees of non-UK resident trusts that become liable to pay non-resident Capital Gains Tax must be registered with HMRC. Before creating an online Capital Gains Tax on UK property account, registration is required. If the trust doesn’t need to register with HMRC and there’s no tax to pay, reporting must still be done using a Capital Gains Tax on UK property paper form.

4. Temporary non-residents: Rules and implications:

Different rules apply if an individual is temporarily non-resident and makes disposals during a tax year when they were either not resident in the UK or overseas as part of a split year. The portion of the gain not charged to non-resident Capital Gains Tax may come within the scope of UK Capital Gains Tax upon return. Temporary non-resident rules determine the treatment of Capital Gains Tax during a period abroad.

5. Personal representatives reporting for a deceased person living abroad:

Personal representatives of a deceased person living abroad must report the disposal to HMRC if the deceased made a disposal before their death that hasn’t been reported. If the personal representative disposes of UK property or land while managing and selling assets for the estate, reporting is also required. This includes reporting details of the taxable gains and losses.

These special scenarios highlight the diverse situations that may arise, and it’s crucial to be aware of the specific reporting obligations and rules associated with each circumstance. Compliance ensures accurate reporting and adherence to HMRC regulations.

Post-Reporting Steps: Navigating What Comes After

1. Implications for those who complete a Self-Assessment tax return:

  • If an individual already completes a Self-Assessment tax return to report their income to HMRC, they must fill in the Capital Gains section for the tax year following the sale. Details of the disposal, unless the property was the main home and qualifies for Private Residence Relief, need to be provided. Completing this section ensures that the Capital Gains Tax obligations are properly reflected in the overall tax return.
  • It’s important to comply with the reporting requirements even if the individual’s overall income is reported through Self-Assessment.

2. Understanding and qualifying for Private Residence and Letting Relief :

  • Private Residence Relief is a relief that can exempt individuals from Capital Gains Tax on the disposal of their main residence. If the property sold was the individual’s main home, they may qualify for this relief. However, the rules and eligibility criteria for Private Residence Relief can be complex.
  • Factors such as periods of occupation, periods of absence, and the use of the property for business purposes can affect the availability and extent of Private Residence Relief. It’s crucial to understand these rules and seek advice if needed to ensure accurate reporting and potential relief from Capital Gains Tax.
  • Letting relief is indeed another important relief available when calculating Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on property sales in the UK. You qualify if you lived in the property concurrently with tenants while renting it out, making it your “main residence” during the letting period. The relief applies only to the portion of the property that was rented out.

After reporting the disposal, individuals should consider how it fits into their overall tax situation, especially if they complete a Self-Assessment tax return. Understanding the potential for Private Residence Relief is particularly important for those selling their main residence. Seeking professional advice can be beneficial to navigate the complexities and optimize tax outcomes.


Accurately reporting the disposal of UK property is of utmost importance, and using HMRC’s designated system is crucial for compliance with UK tax laws. Individuals and entities involved in the disposal of UK property should approach the reporting process with diligence and attention to detail. By doing so, they not only fulfill their legal obligations but also minimize the risk of penalties and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the UK tax system.

Key takeaways:

  • Why Reporting is Crucial: Make sure you report all property sales accurately. This is important for fulfilling your obligations to HMRC. Provide details like property information, dates, costs, and any reliefs applied.
  • Benefits of Using HMRC’s System: Simplify the reporting process by using HMRC’s online system. This includes handling Capital Gains Tax on UK property transactions.
  • Avoiding Penalties: Stick to deadlines, especially for selling residential properties in the UK. This helps you avoid penalties and interest.
  • Complying with UK Tax Laws: If you’re not a UK resident, it’s essential to report property sales, even if you don’t have tax obligations. This ensures transparency and upholds the integrity of the tax system.

Seeking professional advice when needed can further enhance the accuracy and completeness of the reporting process. Benefit from time savings, reduced errors, and expert assistance with AcoBloom’s outsourcing finance and accounting services Contact us now to learn more.

If you enjoyed reading this article, be sure to explore our other blogs on Accounting, Tax, and Outsourcing!